Today is the labor movement’s National Day of Action for the Protecting the Right to Organize (PRO) Act. It’s a day for labor and its allies to let the U.S. Senate know that it’s time to support the hardworking men and women of this country by supporting the PRO Act.
The PRO Act puts workers first and strengthens the rights of workers to join and participate in a labor union. The bill (H.B. 842) passed the House in early March and is expected to be before the U.S. Senate soon.
The Machinist Union has compiled a list of ways you can help pass the PRO Act:
- Call your Senators at 866-832-1560. Then, send a message using our action alert .
- Share the IAM’s PRO Act posts on Facebook and Twitter .
- Join the AFL-CIO for a live Facebook panel tonight at 7 p.m. ET on how the PRO Act helps women workers.
- Join a socially-distanced event in your community to support the PRO Act.
The PRO Act is the most comprehensive piece of labor legislation introduced since the Great Depression. At its core, it protects the rights of people who want to be part of a labor union and repeals laws that hurt workers.
The PRO Act will:
- Create pathways for workers to form unions, without fear or retribution
- Repeal anti-worker “right-to-work” laws across the country
- Hold corporations accountable by strengthening the National Labor Relations Board
- Empower workers to exercise the freedom to organize and bargain
- Ensure that workers can reach a first contract quickly after recognition
Today, @MachinistsUnion members and workers across the U.S. are calling on their Senators to stand up for working families and support the #PROAct .
We have a chance to make generational change for workers. Let’s get it done.
— Robert Martinez Jr. (@IAMBobMartinez) April 8, 2021
The post TODAY: Demand Passage of the PRO Act to Strengthen Workers’ Rights appeared first on IAMAW .